The Institute for Language and Speech Processing (ILSP) is a leading R&D organisation in the area of Language Technologies (LT) in Greece and a centre of excellence for basic and applied research in the field.
ILSP conducts interdisciplinary research, drawing on two traditions, namely linguistics and information technologies. Its activities cover all aspects of the Language Technologies spectrum, from linguistic studies to signal processing. The main areas that form ILSP’s research agenda are:
- Language Development and Assessment
- Embodied Language Processing
- Multilingual Content Processing
- Multimedia Processing
- Natural Language Processing
- Speech and Music Technology
- Sign Language Technologies
- Technology-Enhanced Language Learning
- Digital Cultural Archives
To complement and support its research efforts in these areas, ILSP continuously invests in developing its Language Resources Infrastructure.
ILSP has successfully participated in more than 150 national, regional and European R&D projects. In this context it has closely collaborated with numerous prestigious academic institutions, research centres, organizations, and entreprises.
ILSP has demonstrated significant development performance as evidenced by:
- A large number of innovative language tools and platforms
- A wide range of language resources repositories
- Incorporating language tools and resources in key educational and assistive applications
- An active involvement into the industrial field by the foundation of spin-offs exploiting technological outcomes
- An active presence in the Balkans
ILSP has become a pole of attraction not only for highly qualified scientists and students wishing to work on the intersection between language, cognition and computer sciences, but also for the dynamic Greek and European private sector of language and information technologies. The experience of its researchers, the close relation it holds with key Research Centres abroad and its industrial orientation are the main ingredients of its distinctive profile at national level and beyond.
ILSP has been involved in several educational activities. In particular, in collaboration with Greek and foreign universities, it has participated in a graduate programme (Master’s and Ph.D.) in Language and Information Technologies, acting as a driving force for the sustainable growth and strengthening of the national competitiveness. It also takes part in a Master’s programme in Quality Journalism and New Technologies.
The continuous effort of improving the quality of our work has led in certifying our research activities alongside with products and services provided, according to the requirements set by ISO 9001:2000 quality standards for project management, software development and educational software platforms development.