The Thrace branch of ILSP / R.C. "Athena" is located in Xanthi, Thrace. It was created in 1996 in order to serve the following purposes:
- Integration of educational software and network applications in the educational process.
- Development of language teaching and cultural software in Northern Greece in collaboration with the University of Thrace and other interested organizations.
- Development of electronic dictionaries to and from the Balkan languages.
- Development of computational grammars useful for translation to and from the Balkan languages and comparative analysis of these languages with Greek in translation matters.
- Study of the needs of Balkan countries in Language Engineering and organization of awareness seminars in neighboring countries.
- Development of Web Applications and Database Applications.
- Maintenance of the ILSP / R.C. "Athena" web sites and servers.